Monday, January 3, 2011

Mushroom Marsala

Every time I make this dish, it reminds me of the family owned Italian restaurant I used to waitress at in high school. The fragrant smell of garlic, mushrooms, and onion cooking in the butter and Marsala wine smell just as they did then...like heaven!

After I've prepared my Mushroom Marsala, I like to serve it over a bed of egg noodles and mashed potatoes. You can lose the mashed potatoes if you're worried about the extra carbs...however, I highly recommend this combination! Serve with a side salad and enjoy!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely minced
1 lb. fresh mushrooms (I prefer baby portabella), cleaned and thinly sliced
1/4 tsp. hot red pepper flakes
4 green onions, thinly sliced (or you can substitute half of a medium sized thinly sliced sweet onion)
1 tbsp. flour
1 cup dry Marsala wine
1 cup vegetable broth
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
*Melt your butter in a 10 inch frying pan over medium heat. Once the butter is hot, and garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
*Add mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes while stirring constantly but gently so you don't break up the mushrooms.
*Add red pepper flakes and onions and cook for another 2 minutes.
*Sprinkle with flour and and cook while stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
*Add Marsala and bring to a boil. Cook until Marsala is evaporated, about 5-7 minutes.
*Add vegetable stock and boil until almost totally evaporated, about 10 minutes.
*Garnish with a sprig of fresh rosemary or parsley and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment