Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Cucumber Chive Yogurt Dip (Tzatziki)



Tonight I made oven baked falafel. I always use the Near East brand box mix, because I believe it has the best flavor and consistency. Of course, you can't have falafel without Tzatziki sauce...since I didn't have any fresh dill, I substituted fresh chives instead, and it turned out wonderful. Oh, I also topped the falafel with caramelized onions and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice before loading on the tzatziki. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!

Ingredients
1 bunch of fresh chives (use kitchen scissors to cut into small pieces)
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cucumber (peeled, halved, and seeded, then finely diced)
1 small container of greek yogurt (regular or non fat)
salt, fresh ground pepper to taste
1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
Optionally: you can add 1 tablespoon of sour cream if you'd like.

Directions
Mix the yogurt with the salt and pepper until creamy and well-flavored to taste. With kitchen scissors, cut the chives in 1/4 inch pieces directly into the yogurt mixture. Add the diced cucumber, minced garlic, and lemon juice. Stir. Garnish with chives or fresh parsley.

3 comments:

  1. This looks great. Bravo on the pictures. Questions for Mrs. Everyday Vegetarian I would like to serve Flafel with Tzatziki as an appetizer. I don't know to much about Flafel...is it easy to make and can you use your hands to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very easy to make and it works best when you use your hands to shape the falafel into patties or balls. I recommend using the Near East box mix which you can find at most Whole Foods locations, or at the Dekalb Farmers Market here in Atlanta. The box has instructions on both frying and baking the mix. If you are going to bake it, I recommend spraying both sides of the patty with canola oil, and flipping them half way through the baking process which usually takes about 15 minutes total depending on your oven. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very helpful I am going to try it! What a great Blog.
    -JC (fan)

    ReplyDelete